Friday, January 20, 2012

New Knitting Space

I've been busy in the evenings working on the embroidery project I flashed here, but I'm not ready to show it yet. Instead, I'll show the oft-photographed cuff of sock.

My daughter did something new, this week, for her--she had an activity that didn't involve me. Up until now we've been doing things together--Music Together, play group together, story time together. This week, since she is three and not in diapers (oh dear universe, thank you for giving me the girl last, like a karmic potty training reward), she could begin a preschool gym class without me. (Under three, or over three but in diapers, and it's a mommy-and-me deal.) In she went, onto the other side of the plate glass window, just her and a half dozen other girls and the instructors. She looked small, and a bit timid, but she followed along and reported afterwards that it was fun.

Meanwhile, I peeked through the window at the start, and a bit in the middle, but other than that, I left the other moms and one grandma standing by the window and went to find a seat. I ended up in the poorly lit hallway near the window, sitting on the floor, which is why this picture was taken back at home. I nearly blinded myself casting on a sock for my girl in that light, but it has been years since I was the sitting-and-waiting mom, not joining in the activity or amusing a younger sibling or two while waiting--and I think that only lasted a few months at that. There was absolutely no reason for me not to sit and knit for 45 minutes, and really, my daughter was probably better off without me peering in the window anyway.

So, for the next five weeks, on one day per week I have 45 minutes of guaranteed knitting time during the day. It almost makes me giddy.

Shared with our creative spaces--I wonder if I'm the only one whose creative space, this week, is in a poorly lit hallway outside the preschool gym? Go see!

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm so excited for you! Enjoy every moment!

Rose Red said...

Hurrah for uninterrupted knitting time! Bet that was the best 45minutes of knitting time you've had for a while, bad lighting and all.

Suburban Correspondent said...

I thought that was what kids' activities were for! Also, one of the older women in my knitting group bought a pair of reading glasses with little lights embedded in the corners. Perfect gift for knitters!

Bells said...

oh that's fabulous. Yay you. Love the cuff. It's gorgeous.

I sat and knitted at the little playground at the markets yesterday, feeling a bit unsure that it was the right thing to do but Alice is at the point now where she says 'no Bells! I do it! Go away!' so I sit nearby and watch and knit something that can be put down in an instant. It's quite liberating - for her and me!

Donna Lee said...

Every little bit of freedom is so welcome! It's amazing what you can accomplish in 45 minutes and it's good for G to go and do something on her own. Then she has a story to tell you about her day.