Monday, August 13, 2012

I Got Nothin'

So, last week? Crazy times. And not in a good way. I did not finish my Ravellenic Games lace scarf (last seen here). I was trying to do one repeat per day (64 stitches times 24 rows), and I was on pace up until three days to go, so I guess that would be Thursday. At that point I weighed what was left of the skein of yarn and realized I had enough for six repeats, and since my real goal was to finish the scarf by using all the yarn I had, I knew I wasn't going to make it. But I still thought I could finish out the Games with 17 repeats. But, like Tom Daley, I got distracted--not by the flashbulbs of adoring home-country fans, but by the way my week exploded, not in a good-busy-doing-fun-things way, but in a solo parenting-all-heck-broke-loose way. Unlike Tom Daley, I'm not going to petition for a re-do because, y'know, it's just knitting.

So anyway, I got nothing to show you, except this seagull mug shot.

He and his gang were trying to thieve our lunch at the salt pond today. I think he's a new initiate; he looks like a juvenile to me. But there you go--this week is already better than last week, because we spent the day at the beach. I would say, Geez, how could it not be? but I'm afraid to curse myself.

How about you? August treating you a little better so far--I hope?!

8 comments:

Lori said...

pfft — kiss that week goodbye. on to better things. :)

Cameron said...

Blink of an eye, sometimes...the pace of Life....

Although, the heat around here makes the days seem to drag on with nothing to show for it!

Glad things are looking up already :)

Helen said...

I'd have been surprised if you managed to finish your scarf after the week you had. Draining!

August is fine so far. Shaping up ok, despite being back at work.

Donna Lee said...

August already and I haven't gotten to the beach or lake even once. All the nice weather seems to happen during the week. We keep promising ourselves a day off in the middle of the week but the weeks seem to fly by so quickly.

Sally said...

Oh. Tough week huh? Hope you're on the up and up now.
It's been a strange week here too.

Carolyn said...

Sorry you had a tough week, I'm glad it's over and you've moved on! It's a tough week here too...packing for college, doing hundreds of loads of laundry (I don't think Grace has done laundry all summer!), lots of shopping trips for the "forgotten" items, and raging hormones. (For her, not me. I don't have hormones!) It will all end soon...I take her to school on Friday, move her in on Saturday, then come home to a quiet house, with everyone out of the next. Lee is even going to be gone from Monday through Friday for the next 2 weeks. I feel like it will be too quiet and orderly. I'll miss having kids around the house, but I'll sure enjoy the quiet!

Carolyn said...

next = nest. I should remember to proofread!

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

Sometimes life gets in the way of knitting, still sounds like you made incredible progress. And just wanted to let you know, I've nominated your blog for a lovely blog award!